Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lessons from Jonah

For those who don't know, I've been teaching Sunday School since Fall. This quarter our lessons are on the prophets. Last Sunday, Michelle Alexander taught the lesson on Daniel. I looove the book of Daniel. Tomorrow is my Sunday to teach and the lesson is on Jonah. Now I love the book of Jonah too, every page of the book of Jonah in my Bible is covered with notes from Pastor Neil's sermons and some of my own insights, and I am excited to be bringing this lesson but I don't want to be a Jonah. I would much rather be a Daniel, steadfast, strong in my desire to be obedient to the Lord, and never seeming to falter or waiver, but sadly I find that I am a lot like Jonah. When the situation gets tough, unless its something that I want to do, or something that the Lord has already refined me in, I start looking for a way out, somewhere to hide. Like Jonah, I run away!

I know all to well, the war that wages inside when God asks me to do something that I don't want to do, that I think is too big, too hard. I know the pain that running causes, there is no rest, there is no peace. I've been through it enough times to know that until I stop and turn around and obey, the turmoil within will not cease. Disobedience brings chastisement, just like we are with our children, so is God with us, His children. Some of my notes from Pastor Neil's sermons are:

1. God's discipline is thorough (God loves us enough to scar us)--Just like with physical scars, the scars I have from the times I ran from God remind me of lessons that I have learned. They remind me of how I got that scar, and that it is something that shouldn't be repeated.

2. You need to closely associate rebellion with pain for rebellion always brings pain.--I know this well. As a teenager I rebelled against everything. I rebelled against what I was brought up to believe in church, against what my parents thought was best for me, always having to go against what anyone said even though I knew they were right. Teenage years are hard and painful anyway, but I heaped more pain upon myself because I was also bringing pain to others. My selfishness hurt many, but I found myself trapped in the vicious circle that comes with the territory. I would hate to see the pain that I caused to those I loved, but I couldn't admit that I was wrong and ask for their forgiveness, the cost would have been too high a price, so I thought.

3. I can't drift or run outside of the boundaries of God's grace and mercy--Thank you Jesus! Like Jonah, after my rebellion and when I decide to finally stop running, I find that God is still there, waiting for me, ready to forgive me and give me another chance to be obedient. It still amazes me, that He is willing to do this, that He will put up with me.

4. The tragedy of the runner is wasted time--God can't give us back our time.--This is the greatest tragedy and at times I have found myself in the "mullygrubs" mad at myself and regretting the time that I wasted. I've learned though to give myself a "good talking to", to pray and ask that God enable and equip me to move forward, because I will never get that "time wasted" back, but as long as the breath of life is still in my body, I have this time to do what God has asked.

Teaching Sunday School is one instance of my obedience. My class is the 3rd and 4th grade and I truly enjoy it. I never thought I would be a Sunday School teacher. It seemed so intimidating to me. I know it's odd, but children that are not my own intimidate me. When I was asked if I would teach Sunday School, my whole mind and body was screaming NO!!!!!! I heard that small voice whisper "Yes" and that is what I said. I was told that I didn't have to say "yes" right away, that I could think and pray on it, but I knew.

I am not the best teacher, and I am not as organized or as much of a planner as I would like to be, (though I am getting better) but I love the children that are in my class, their enthusiasm, the insight that they bring and how they can open my eyes to see anew the Truth that is in God's Word. I have been infinitely blessed in this work and I will continue until I am called to a new work. When I look back on my life and I see the trials, the pain, the blessings, the grace and the mercy, I realize that all things, even my running, was equipping me for this time in God's purpose for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment